Butternut Bisque with Sausage and Spinach
OK- this recipes is for my friends who think butternut squash soup is boring. This recipe is here to rock your socks. It is full of beautiful Fall and Winter vegetables and comes together easily. No roasting, scraping or washing a sheet pan. Just a deeply flavorful and satisfying bowl that will WOW any butternut un-believer. It's a little sweet and savory, smooth and toothsome all at the same time. Enjoy!!
3 tbsp butter or olive oil
1 med onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic , sliced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp, plus 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
1/2 tsp salt
1 large butternut squash (about 3 cups), peeled and chunked into 1 inch pieces
1 small/medium sweet potato, peeled and chunked
1 3/4 cups Lily's Ladle Veggie Mineral or Chicken Bone Broth
1 cup full fat coconut milk
3 cups water
3 or 4 large links sweet Italian chicken sausage, out of casing
2 cups baby spinach
1. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil or butter. Sprinkle with cayenne and 1 tsp of sage, and salt, sauté about 5 mins.
2. Add squash, sweet potato, broth, water, coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower to simmer about 15 mins, or until squash and sweet potato are soft.
3. Purée contents of soup pot in batches using a food processor, until smooth. Pour back into soup pot and bring to a simmer. Or- use an immersion blender and keep everything right in your pot.
4. In a medium sauté pan, brown the sausage and break up in small crumbles. Add to soup pot.
5. Stir spinach into soup.
6. In the same pan used for the sausage, brown the remaining sage in olive oil. Sort of fry it until crispy (you may need to add a little more olive oil to the pan to do this, depending on the type of sausage you used). Then add to the soup. Grind in some fresh pepper and enjoy!!