Cream of Tomato Soup
Updated: Feb 4
Do you love a smooth and creamy soup? Do you long to add pasta? SAME.
It’s actually quite rare that we have cream or half and half in our fridge, so I made this creamy smooth using 1/4 cup of cashews blended with 1/2 cup of water. But if nuts aren’t your thing, certainly add cream of your choice.
🍅 🍅This recipe works well with late season tomatoes that aren’t perfect, or a nice big can of ‘em! 🥫🥫🥫
Grab you blender and your spoon because, here we go!!
🍅🍅Cream of Tomato Soup🍅🍅
3lbs of tomatoes (or two 28oz cans of whole tomatoes)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of cream (of your choice)
For Non Dairy try:
1/4 cup of raw cashews blended on high until smooth and creamy with 1/2 cup of water
Our family loves Pastina- it’s teeny little stars ⭐️
1/3 cup dry pastina, cooked to package instructions in a separate pot and strained
1. If using fresh tomatoes- drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 for 30 minutes. If using canned- proceed to step 2.
2. In a large soup pot on medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil, onion and carrot. Sauté 5-7 minutes, add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes until fragrant. Pour all the tomatoes and their juices into a large soup pot.
3. Add Veggie Mineral Broth and water, bring to a boil and then lower to simmer 20 minutes.
4. While that simmers, make the pasta and set aside when drained.
5. If using the cashews- make the cashew cream in the blender.
6. Blend the contents of the soup pot- either using an immersion blender or counter top blender. Then add the cream of your choice. Salt and pepper to your taste.
7. Ladle into soup bowls and spoon pastina into the middle! 😋